Sunday, June 7, 2009

Weekend Revelations

This weekend I attended a strengths building conference for moms, called the Yelo Experience. I admit I was a bit skeptical at first, but like many things, you take the best and leave the rest. I took an assessment called the Myer-Briggs Type Indicator. The type indicator was created by mother/daughter team, Katharine Briggs and Isabel Meyer, and was based on Carl Jung’s theories of psychological type preferences. The type indicator identifies 16 personalities types based on where you focus your attention, the way you take in information, the way you make decisions, and how you deal with the outer world. The results do not define who are so much as they may help you to understand the way you prefer to interact and react to the world around you.

My test results show that I am an ENTJ: “Frank, decisive, assume leadership readily. Quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive systems to solve organizational problems. Enjoy long-term planning and goal setting. Usually well informed, well read, enjoy expanding their knowledge and passing it on to others. Forceful in presenting their ideas.”

Because this was a conference for mothers it was interesting to see all these different women apply this knowledge to the way they respond to their children, their partners, and their pursuits outside of family life. Women who were familiar with the type indicator seemed to not only know their partners better, but they seemed to have a lot of acceptance for their differences. Where aspects of their personalities might seem like weaknesses, they would turn around and present them as strengths. This was incredibly motivating and eye opening.

While I employ many tools to my creative process I am opening myself up to exploring the validity of these findings before fully recommending them to my readers. For the next few weeks, I will be examining my results from the conference and accessing the things that make me strong versus the things that drain my energy and how this pertains to my creative life.

3 comments:

  1. hey j9. I'm glad you have created this blog. Thank you for sharing, girl. More love & power to you. I'm keeping an eye out for more about this topic.
    <3 Carley

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you like it! i wasn't sure if i would lose people with this one. i will be posting more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J9 -- this is one of my favorite activities -- I've had the chance to take Myers/Biggs more than once and each time I end up the same -- INTJ -- HUGS to you -- keep up the great work -- your writing is very personal and wonderfully powerful! -- HUGS -- Ms. B

    ReplyDelete