Wednesday, June 24, 2009

practice.practice.practice.

I don’t like surprises. As a result, I plan, I schedule, I make lists. (This is actually part of being an ENTJ). I used to think I have become this way because of baby girl. Not so. I have realized that my ability to organize and execute comes naturally to me. Because I am responsible for the life of another human being, these instincts have come out in full force. I am howling at the moon.

When baby girl was still tiny, I used these organizational instincts in order to meet her needs. Our day was planned and I was prepared for whatever she could dish out. (Or throw up.) However, the one place it was not applied, was to my creative life. It didn’t even make it on the list. It is a challenge, but I put work for this blog on my list everyday. Even if that work is just thinking, it is still part of the creative process.

Once you decide to respond to the call of the wild, you must rely on your own unique natural instincts to you lead to a creative life. And once you get there, you must practice everyday. Keep in mind that the creative process does not start and stop in any one place. Because you have not yet produced a tangible work does not mean you are not honing your skills. Expand. Research. Think. Write about it. Draw about it. Dance about it. Whatever it is. Natural instincts and abilities are nothing without practice—everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment