Wednesday, May 20, 2009

To Be A Mother...

You never really understand what it’s like to be a mother until you become one. To the young, fabulous, and childless, the concept might be hard to grasp. There's just no way to comprehend the magnitude to which your life is altered when you procreate unless you are knee deep in the mamahood.

When io came into my life I was 24 years old and waiting tables. Not exactly what I had pictured when I was 10 and telling my girlfriends that I would have 2 children before I was 26. Since the day she arrived, I have been running with my head to the ground for most of the time. My main concern: that I keep running. Now that she is 3 years old and bit more independent, I find myself looking up more often; seeing what’s on the horizon. Gazing into the future.

I look at io and she is complete. She is a human being: unique and beautiful. In seeing her best qualities; I see myself. In seeing her worst qualities; I see myself. And , perhaps, for as long as I am her mother, I will always be orbiting io.


No comments:

Post a Comment