Thursday, November 12, 2009

pulling arame



Arame is the wire that is used to string a berimbau. This wire is pulled from the inside of a tire. From everything that I had heard, it is quite a laborious effort. It's not for the weak or the meek. It was suggested that I save myself the trouble and buy some piano wire. That might work for some people. I'm just not one of them. Instead I walked over to the tire store up the street, got me a tire, and rolled it home. Baby girl thought it was hilarious and wanted to help. By the time we got home my hands were completely black and baby girl's whole left side was tire greased.

The tire sat in my yard for a few days while I contemplated my plan of action. Everyone had an array of tips, which were all helpful. (Thanks everybody!) The most crucial part of the process is a good knife. I was hesitant at first, but I decided to use the Miracle Blade, which was sitting unused and collecting dust in the kitchen. (Thanks Dad for your love of info-mercial products!) I figured if it can cut into tin cans and still slice tomatoes, I ought to give it a try. It worked out pretty good. After shaving away at the rubber, I did the one thing that nobody suggested. I used end cutting pliers (see left) and instead of pulling the wire out the tire, I cut the whole wire coil free from the tire. I used the pliers to cut around the wire until I could fit the knife in between and I just cut it out. It didn't take long at all. Then I was able to unwrap the wire no problem. I think this might be the best way to avoid kinks. I used the knife to get rid of the extra rubber and then sanded it clean.

I can't say that it was easy, but I can say that I did enjoy the challenge. Before you get any ideas--NO. I am not pulling your arame for you. Love is in the doing. F$%& a piano wire. Pull a tire!

No comments:

Post a Comment